Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Things don't always work out as planned

I think for me, this week has been the ultimate proof of that.

I had a really great blog idea for Monday, but my computer refused to start. I did not get it working until yesterday, and by then it was kind of pointless. My nice camera got up and walked away too, leaving me to deal with fuzzy cellphone pictures until I find where it went off to, so there weren't even comprehensible Halloween photos to share. I had also planned to open my first giveaway Monday, but I didn't get a chance to pick up the prizes, so it will have to wait for next week. Time for a new plan.

So yesterday, I was really in the mood to cook. I love cooking, I just don't love doing it in the tiny kitchen I am stuck with right now. So anyways, I start to whip up a really great smelling pot of homemade chicken and dumplings. That was a bit of a challenge. I can't say that I have never made chicken and dumplings before, but I can say that the last time was well over ten years ago and I was technically helping my mother make them. I vaguely remember how, and I am not one to go hunting a recipe every time I want to make something. It couldn't be that hard, right?

I got my chicken thighs, covered them with water and set them to boil with some seasoning. About 2 hours later, the house smelled really yummy. I pulled the chicken, peeled it off the bone, and threw it back in the pot. I chopped up some carrots and celery, added a few more spices, and set it to simmer. It was doing great.
Yummy simmering chicken and veggies in broth

But wait, the theme of today is how things don't work out as planned, wasn't it? Right as I get the pot simmering, the DH calls. He really wants lasagna for dinner, so "surprise!" we are having Italian. I couldn't be mad at him for it. He knows I don't really like to cook in that kitchen and wasn't expecting to hear that I had been working on dinner for over 2 hours already. I turned off the stove and threw the pot in an ice bath, grateful that I had not made the dumplings yet.

Today I pulled out the pot to finish it up. As a bonus, the cold made it easier to skim off any greasy fat that I missed last night. The hard part was done, so dinner should be ready in a flash... yeah.

I didn't exactly know how to make dumplings from scratch, and since I have a ton of banana bread to make tomorrow and Friday, I decided to save the flour and go the lazy route by using Bisquick. It even had "how to cook me" directions right on the side of the box. Note: Do NOT use the directions on the side of the box!

The dumpling is a lie.

I put the dumplings into the pot and watch them turn into cute little fluffy balls of goo, like a pan full of little sheep. After ten minutes, it said to cover the pot and let them cook ten minutes more. I stepped away for a moment, and by the time I got back, the chicken had burned to the bottom of the pot, aided by the starchy paste that had thickened the broth into gravy. Dumplings? Three or four survived, while the rest seem to have faded away into the milky white goop of doom.
It looks like it is going to jump out and attack someone, seriously

My nature was screaming at me that I did not want to serve this abomination to the family, but what other choice was there? On the plus side, the DH said it was good and the daughter thought it was "yummy". That is a win, right?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for trying! I buy my chicken already roasted from the store. :-D Hub has to order dumplings at a restaurant -- yecch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There are some things I am not brave enough to foray into, but I really enjoy cooking and baking, so most things I am willing to try at least once. I am much better at pasta, but if I stuck to only cooking that, I would probably gain a hundred pounds. haha

    ReplyDelete